Best Tips for Theft Prevention
- Always lock your bike's frame and wheels with a high-quality, modern U-lock (with a disc/flat key)
- Remove all detachable items like lights, bags and quick release parts and take them with you
- Lock to a bike rack, or firmly affixed (bolts covered in concrete) parking meter or sign pole - these are the most secure places
- See images to the right for locking depictions.
- Record your bike's serial number. Take a photo of you and your unlocked bike. Keep the receipt. All will help you identify the bike.
- Always lock your bike, even if you're just leaving it for a moment
- Always lock through the frame and a wheel. Add a cable, cable lock, or second U-lock to lock the second wheel. See diagrams to the right.
- Buy the most expensive lock you can afford. U-locks are strong and better ones come with theft warranties. Only buy a U-lock with a flat or disc key. Cylindrical keyed locks are more easily picked. See diagram about keys to the right.
- Beware of locking to "sucker poles" that are loosely bolted down and can easily be removed.
- Avoid locking to private property. Store your bike inside if space is available.
- Lock your bike when keeping it in a garage or on a porch.
- Learn about the lock manufacturer's warranty and product replacement policy.
If it's stolen